Sunday, January 24, 2010

Questioning the Purpose of Life

Im sure I am not the only one who recall near death experiences. Incidents which happen in life, where you stop and say, wow, I could have died just then. There are 4 of these incident I recall often in my life.

The first was told to me as I was only 2 weeks old. My mother found me blue and lifeless, and peaceful without struggle in my bassinet. I had quit breathing and was moments from death. She, not knowing what to do, took me and ran , out into the cold air where snow was on the ground in freezing temperatures. She believed the shock of the coldness revived me as I gasped for air and came back to life. As she told the story to the Dr, he believe I had survived what many babies do not, sudden infant death. Her timing in finding me on the verge, saved my life.


The next incident happened when I was 4. I remember it so clear to this day. I was walking across a street with my family looking one way, but not in the direction of the oncoming traffic.
I started to cross, and father put out his hand in the same moment a car went inches from hitting me. Even at the young age of 4 I knew it would have been a serious event if not one that would have caused my death.

The 3rd was when I was driving to the hospital where I worked. It was 430 in the morning. The road was damp and I was in a hurry. I could see ahead,  a car delivering news papers that was making a left hand turn, but knew surely they would wait for me, as I was  approaching. They were not paying attention and turned directly in front of me, which left me 2 choices. One hit them almost head on, or 2, apply my breaks to avoid hitting them. I applied my break which put my car in a spin and I went off the side of the road headed straight for a telephone poll directly in my path. I knew I would hit the pole, so I said a quick prayer and in the blink of a moment, my tire stuck in the ditch and turned my car the opposite direction. Thank you God, was all I was able to say, due to the fact I was in complete shock.

The 4th time was in 1986, when I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor which had metastasized outside the tumor wall. I had surgery and 6 weeks of radiation and cobalt treatments.

All 4 of those could have gone either way. Which leads me in this stage of my life to reflect that I am alive and healthy. Four times the devil tried to take me, maybe more that I was not aware of,
but these 4 times I recall and ponder. I know there is a purpose in my life, maybe I have already achieved His will for me somehow in my work as a nurse touching someones life in a way to show them Gods love, or maybe the purpose is still to come, that has not been revealed. I will be ready for You to use me Lord, whatever you have in store for your humble servant to lead and guide me in use for Your glory.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this lovely post! Really opened up my mind!

    ReplyDelete